If you purchased your current health plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace and now you want to cancel it because you’re about to enroll in Medicare, you need to know a few things before you act:
- You should enroll in Medicare Parts A and B (Original Medicare) as soon as you are eligible. You may also want to consider other types of plans, like a Medicare Advantage or a Medicare Supplement plan.
- You should keep your Marketplace health plan coverage in effect until the day your Medicare coverage begins. If you cancel your plan before Medicare coverage begins, you may have a gap in coverage.
- You need to cancel your Marketplace health plan at least 14 days before you want your coverage to end.
- You need to take action to cancel your Marketplace health plan. Enrolling in Medicare doesn’t cancel the plan. You must cancel your plan through the Marketplace in order for the cancellation to happen.
- You can cancel a Marketplace health plan by contacting the Marketplace Call Center or via your personal online account.
For more information, call us at 941-405-3900.