Now that the Medicare Annual Enrollment period is over and you have your coverage, it’s time to make your Medicare health insurance benefits work for you. Here are three quick, yet important, things to know.
1. Where you get care affects your wallet. If you aren’t having an emergency, knowing where to go for medical care may save you on cost and time. When you visit in-network providers, you pay less for care.
2. Generic drugs often meet the same standards for quality, safety, and effectiveness as their brand name counterparts. Choosing generics may cost you less. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about the choices you have and if a generic drug is right for you.
3. Make your Medicare plan work for you. To help keep your costs down, take full advantage of your plan by:
- Staying in the network
- Staying in the pharmacy network (use “preferred pharmacies”)
- Knowing what is covered
- Understanding health insurance costs
- Using the ER for emergencies only